With the sad decline of the British pub in recent years, Aberystwyth always looks like a safehaven for beer peddlers.
However, there are many pubs which have sadly left us over the years, some old, some not so old….
If you’ve got any stories about the pubs below, then why not let us know in the comments!
The Boars Head:
Behind Alexandra Halls, this popular pub was inhabited by squatters when it closed down, and still had most of its original fittings.
It is also reportedly haunted by the ghost of an old landlord whose wife died years ago.
The Albion was a hotel and pub which was very popular with the locals up until its closure.
Closing in the early 90′s, it has since been turned into flats.
The Talbot Inn is one of the older pubs in Aberystwyth which has now sadly slipped away.
The old pub has now been turned into a popular local restaurant.
No picture available of this one, sorry!
A popular pub with hairy bikers, it used to be opposite the market before it sadly burn’t down.
Pot Of Glue:
Another very popular pub, now replaced with a 24 hour convenience shop.
This pub was especially popular with evacuees during the 2nd World War.
The Bay only recently died a death due to dwindling numbers, partly because of a complaining killjoy postgrad living next door.
It was the final place to head on a night out, busy, sweaty and a great laugh.
The best campus bar at Aberystwyth University bar none.
However, it has now been closed and turned into a computer room. Grades have gone up ever since…
A pretty grotty looking building on the outside which became a local off licence.
The Bluebell was apparently a little gem with good beer on tap accordingly to many locals.
This was the only seafront pub in the early 1990′s until others opened up and took away the punters.
This bar eventually closed, and burned down in a huge fire in 1998 which also took some of the student halls, Caerleon and Pumlumon.
And Some More Pubs From The Archives You Definately Won’t Remember:
Around since the mid 1800′s, this hotel and bar is still a pub today, but is now better known as the Cambrian.
Three Jolly Sailors:
There were two Taverns of this name in Aberystwyth in the mid 1800′s. One on Alexandra Road run by ex sailor Henry Humphreys, and another on Upper Darkgate Street.
Now the site of an organic food retailer on Baker Street, the mid 1800′s Victoria Tavern became an Inn in 1872 and lasted until the 1920′s.
This short lived venture on Bridge Street is only listed in the 1859 Slaters Directory and it is assumed that it went bust soon after.
Sitting on Bridge Street, this pub was owned by local auctioneer John Evans.
Duke Of Wellington:
This pub was recorded in 1871, and sat at number 50 Bridge Street.
Another on Bridge Street, which was ran by Mary Evans in 1835.
Ran by Lewis Lewis, this pub sat at 32 Bridge Street in the 1871 census.
Horse And Jockey:
In 1835 this pub was run by Jane Morgan, and was still running in 1868 under a Mr Richard Griffiths.
In 1868 this pub sat at 38 Bridge Street, and the sign outside showed a regal looking Prince in his royal robes and crown.
Demolished in 1867, Shades of Bridge Street was a regular meeting place for local Wesleyans who had no chapel.
First recorded in 1848, this Cambrian Street pub lasted until around 1926.
Recorded in 1844 and still going strong in 1981, this pub on Corporation Street which is now a sports bar banned students for using vile language in the early 80′s.
Recorded in the 1841 census, this pub on Custom House Street was still going in 1907.
Run by David Davies in 1868, the pub was near the corner of Baker Street and Eastgate Street.
Hope And Anchor:
First recorded in 1849, the Hope And Anchor was run by Mary Lloyd of 22 Eastgate Street.
Prince Of Wales:
Recorded on Eastgate Street in 1844, the Prince of Wales is last mentioned in 1859 and was run by Thomas Morris.
Located at 23 Grays Inn Road, this pub was first recorded in 1859, and was still running in 1926.
Recorded in 1871 at 13 Great Darkgate Street, David Thomas was still the landlord in 1875. No further mention is made after this date.
Only mentioned in 1849, this was ran by a James Edward Drew of 9 Great Darkgate Street.
Previously the Lion Royal and Black Lion this pub was first recorded in 1727. It was extended in 1869 to include Billiard and Concert Rooms. It was still running in the 1950′s and more recently has become sports store Badlands.
Half pub, half cow shed, this pub used to sit where HSBC sits now. The cows entered the cow shed through the pub itself.
Only listed in 1835, The Grapes was owned by Evan Matthews of Great Darkgate Street.
Heart Of Oak:
This pub served drinkers of Great Darkgate Street from 1849 to 1875 under the watch of JOhn Hughes and Zophar Humphreys.
On the corner of Great Darkgate Street and Pier Street, this pub was first registered in 1851 and was running until around 1859.
Another on Great Darkgate Street, it was only mentioned in 1875, and was run by Ann Jones.
Nothing to do with the mansion, this was located at 39 Great Darkgate and was run by Henry Mitchell.
Sitting at 28 Great Darkgate Street (or 17 depending on what you read) the New Inn ran from 1859 to 1901.
Run by David Davies of Great Darkgate, this was only mentioned in the 1868 Slater’s Directory.
Regularly frequented by sailors, this was run by Evan Evans and recieves one mention in 1871.
This inn from the early 1700′s sat in Upper Darkgate Street near the various town markets and fair, supplying traders with a well earned drink.
Recorded in 1835, the Skinners Arms is now the Y Not bar. There used to be a hundred weight stone outside the pub, which was used to weigh animal skins for market.
White Horse Inn:
Mentioned in 1835 in the Pigots Directory, this tavern on Great Darkgate was run by a Susannah Drew.
Run my Margaret Morgan in 1859, this was located and 30 Great Darkgate and disappeared after the 1861 census.
Only mentioned in 1835, it was run by John Lumley of Market Street.
Market Street Vaults:
The mid to late 1800′s saw a string of Taverns of Market Street, which also included Market Tavern and Newmarket Tavern.
Only mentioned in 1868, this pub was run by George Thomas Simcox of Market Street.
Listed in the 1844 Pigot Directory, this pub closed its doors at 2 Market Street over 100 years later in 1959.
At 23 Mill Street, the Cross Foxes opened its doors from 1871 to 1969.
At 13 Mill Street opposite the undertakers, The Plough was first recorded in 1891 and was still doing business in the late 1960′s.
Opposite the Plough was rival pub the Red Lion, which was running in the 1870′s and 1880′s.
A New Street pub dating back to 1880. It ceased trading around 1912.
New Street Vaults:
New Street Vaults is now a Spanish Restaurant, but in the 1870′s and 80′s it was a lively local ale house. It was situated at 1 New Street.
Elephant And Castle:
Not of East London fame, this pub was ran by John Griffiths of North Parade in 1835.
Now a newsagents, this 38 North Parade tavern was opened in 1864, and shut some time around 1912.
On 56 North Parade, this pub existed from around 1868 to 1875 and had several landlords in its short life.
Plume Of Feathers:
Recorded in 1835 on North Parade, it was owned by William Keeling.
Prince Of Wales:
Listed in 1859 and 1861 at 32 North Parade, it was owned by Samuel Nicholls of Cornwall.
Owned by prominent chuchman John Watkins, it served the people of North Parade from 1868 to around 1895.
The Crown Inn:
Owned by John Jones of Northgate Street this was a very popular pub. During its lifetime, a local farmer who had made a large amount of money at the days fair bought rounds for all customers. The following day, his dismembered body was found floating in Aberystwyth Harbour in a sack. A man was arrested, but was never found guilty.
First mentioned in 1875 this pub was located at 3 Northgate Street and was trading into the 1920′s.
Mentioned in 1871, this pub was owned by Owen Jones of Bala, and occupied by him, his wife and their 10 children.
Another of the Northgate Street Inns, it was ran by Evan Jones in 1871, and quickly disappeared there after.
Ran by Henry Morgan of Northgate Street from 1859 to 1868, this was a popular local alehouse.
Cause And Castle Inn:
Ran by John Evans in 1859, this pub was located at 31 Pier Street.
Running from the late 1860′s through to 1918 this pub and hotel was located at 56 Portland Street.
A land down under which ran from 1871 to 1875 on Princess Street, owned by Catherine Richards.
It is thought that this pub was the revamped and renamed version of Australia Vaults.
Mentioned in 1835 on Princess Street, and run by Elinor Warrington, there is no mention of it since.
In business from 1880 to 1912 the Royal Oak served punters of Princess Street with fine ales after a hard days work.
First recorded in 1868 this pub come hotel did business right up into the 1970′s doing bed and breakfast for holiday makers. This has now become Scholars bar.
Owned by Lewis Lewis of Queens Road, the Neptune is mentioned in 1868 in the Slater’s Directory.
Chain And Anchor:
Registered in 1859 the Chain And Anchor served the shipbuilders of South Road. It was actually sited at 9 Shipbuilders Row, but this has long since been knocked down. In 1881 it was listed as unoccupied.
At 18 South Road, this pub was open from the 1880′s until the early 1950′s. A twenty stone woman used to occupy this pub on a regular basis, and on one occasion it is reported she picked up two drunken men and threw them onto the street single handed.
This pub was first listed in 1859 in St James Square, and became the Rose And Crown thereafter. The Rose And Crown finished trading in the 1880′s.
The Butchers Arms:
From the mid 1880′s The Bull on St James Square, ran by Mrs Evans served drinkers near the markets in the town. It is last listed in 1900.
Right outside the butcher’s market in 1844 sat this ale house owned by Elizabeth Francis, who kept Aberystwyth’s meat sellers and buyers in high spirits.
From the early 1700′s this local Inn served the fair and market goers of Aberystwyth in St James Square. It was last listed in the 1835 Pigot Directory.
Like its neighbour the Ship-A-Ground, this Swan Inn dated back to the early 1700′s. The back door of then pub led into the adjoining Aberystwyth Slaughterhouse. It ceased trading around 1950.
White Swan Inn:
First listed in the 1868 Slater Directory, the White Swan Inn of St James Square lasted until 1926.
The Black Bull on Mary Street (Terrace Road) was listed in 1869 and was ran by Evan Davies.
Bull And Mouth:
The Bull And Mouth was situated on Terrace Road where Boots stand today. It was open from the late 1840′s until the 1870′s. When it closed, it was owned by local resident, Rees Rees.
This pub in Mary Street popped up in 1871 and has disappeared by the early 1880′s.
An even shorter lifespan, Grimsby House of Terrace Road, owned by William Bamber is only mentioned in 1880.
Occupying 32 – 34 Terrace Road this not only sold beer on tap, but was also a grocery store in the 1920′s at the same time.
Only mentioned in 1835, it was ran by William Cox of Terrace Road.
From around 1850 to the 1880′s the Welsh Harp on Terrace Road offered the passer by a place to quench their thirst. The sign outside depicted a Welsh Harp, of course….
In the mid 1800′s this pub was owned by Deio Don, who was always partly legless (he had one leg). Ironically in 1871 his occupation was listed as shoemaker, along with publican. Its name comes from the carved beehive on the protico. It stood where today you will find Beehive Terrace .
The house in Terfechan still bears its name, and was a pub from the mid 1800′s until the early 1950′s.
Bridge End Inn:
First listed in 1871, this pub stood on the left hand side of the bridge as you entered Trefechan over the River Rheidol. In ceased trading in the 1920′s.
Plough And Harrow:
This pub existed in 1816 in Trefechan, around the same time the Fountain Inn was founded.
The Three Tuns:
Listed in the 1835 Pigot Directory and un by Morris Davies, the pub eventually disappeared in the 1880′s under the watchful eye of Mary Davies, who may be no relation to Morris as the pub changed hands several times. The name comes from the sign with the three beer barrels which hung on the outside of this Trefechan pub.